Light, refreshing chicken salads are synonymous with spring and summer. I love that they are so colorful, versatile, and easy to throw together. This new recipe uses leftover roasted chicken, bright green asparagus, fresh basil and proscuitto to create one super light, very flavorful lunchtime treat.
- 1 - 2 lbs. Roasted Chicken, shredded
- 2 bunches Asaparagus, cut into 1 - 2 inch pieces
- 3 oz Prosciutto, shredded
- 1 Shallot (or 1/4 red onion), very thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil, chiffonade
- 2 - 4 T Olive Oil
- 1 - 2 T White or Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 lb Penne Rigate
- Salt & Pepper
- Roast a whole chicken, remove skin and bones, then shred (or use whatever leftover chicken you have on hand)
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil
- Blanch the asparagus (Boil for about 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, then run under cold water to stop the cooking), then set aside
- Use the same boiling water to cook pasta according to package instructions
- Mix everthing together in a large bowl and serve warm or cold
All out of leftover chicken? Roasting a chicken is pretty easy. Here is our favorite Roasted Chicken recipe.
Please check out our other great chicken salad recipes as well.